Tuesday, 24 February 2009

Follow up to Sunday afternoon

I guess everyone agrees that our time on Sunday afternoon was a little bit mind boggling, I hope it was helpful though. I think everyone benefited from it and has some sort of better understanding about the persons of the Godhead now. I just want to remind you all that it's easy to come away from a subject like that with a lot of new head knowledge and there is nothing wrong with that. Knowledge is important, but I don't want any of us to fall into the trap of getting satisfied with head knowledge. Gaining knowledge is just one of the stops along the journey, but the goal of the journey is to apply understanding so that we have a better appreciation of the Lord. The goal is to love more! So, at the end of every session, like the one on Sunday afternoon, we need to help each other out and ask 'how has our appreciation and love for the Lord grown as a result of what we've learnt?' If there is no greater appreciation, then there is just new head knowledge and that doesn't really count for anything. Application to our lives is what we need to always be striving for.
I hope that is a helpful reminder.
I also want to urge you to try to study a little bit more. If you can, don't just read the point but check out all the bible references too. We need to resist being taken for fools and giving in to the gullibility factor. It's much easier to take the statements at face value and not really think about the fact that these articles or points were all written by men. They are not inspired! That might be obvious, but we need to treat them like they're not inspired. That means putting in the work and checking the proof texts. Ask the question all the time: 'Is this point scriptural?' If not we can't agree with it. If you say, 'ah well this is the confession that the church has taken for it's own so it must be good', or 'Andrew seems to agree with it', or 'it was written by the great Puritan minds - what could be wrong with it', then I am afraid you have fallen foul of the gullibility factor. You can't assume any of those things. The bible must be the only authority! So, get your bibles out and set aside a little bit of time to look. That is exactly what I have to do during the week to prepare for you guys. We all need to do it!
I really hope these prompts are encouraging you guys to keep moving forward.
Any thoughts you have, just post them. I'm sure they will benefit us all.

3 comments:

  1. It's an easy trap to fall into, because we all love the "easy way", to simply accept what comes from the pulpit. I did, for years and years despite knowing 1 thessalonians 21: "prove all things, hold fast that which is good". I was proving things against the baptist confession, or my dad or Dr. Masters... but only when I was challenged on certain things did I have to start really reading the bible for myself without any spectacles on. And it has amazed me and strengthened me and opened up my understanding. So don't take anyone's word for it except the Lord's! the cake maker... x

    ReplyDelete
  2. hello, i have never been blogged before. i hope this works. i think i ended up signing up for something i didn't need...anyhoo....! thank you so much to tim for all the hard work he is putting into 'tea n talk.' i have been to 2 sessions now and they are such a blessing to me. there is a lot to grapple with but i trust that the Lord is helping me to grow in understanding of him, but more importantly, love for him. i really enjoyed sunday's talk all about providence and it has really changed the way i think about my life. it was when the matter came up that we should praise the Lord for the bad as well as the good that really affected me. we should believe that his will is perfect for he is a just God, particularly when we think of the subject of his election. that is such a difficult issue to deal with, particularly when we have loved ones who do not know the Lord, or indeed if they are already lost, but as we said, it is the Lord who orders everything and we must praise him for all things.
    tim i bet you're thinking "finally!!! she's made a comment!" it wasn't as scary as i thought it would be. i hope i can come back for 'tea n talk' on my next day off from Sunday School.
    thank you and goodnight! love fish xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Tim for all your hard work, and all the other encouraging comments. I,m sorry it,s taken me so long to join you all. Just a short note for now. I,m sure the bible program readers have just covered 1 Sam 30 like i have, but it had such an impact on my week i thought it worth pointing it out. Last line of v 6 'But David found strength in the Lord his God' after all he was up against. Thanx to my good freinds Sue and Carol, the cake eater x x

    ReplyDelete