Wednesday, 7 January 2009

Where is our treasure?

Hi everyone, glad to be back after the Christmas break and hoping that you all had a Christmas which was good for all the best reasons; including presents but especially full of the Lord.
God willing this year we will all grow in faith and learn to love the Lord more and more!

Here's the first thought for the new year...
In Luke, Matthew and Mark, there is a story about a rich man who comes to Jesus and asks him what he must do to inherit eternal life. After establishing that he had been a keeper of several commandments all his life, Jesus tells him that he still lacks one thing; he tells him to go and sell everything he has and give to the poor and then he will have ‘treasure in heaven’.

We can find ourselves in exactly the same position as this man, when we desperately want eternal life. We want to know that God will look with favour upon us rather than with anger; we feel our own sin, our own failings and our need of God. All these things are wonderful things to feel a need for, because God wants broken and humble hearts to come to him and he's promised not to turn any away, but then the Lord sets out the true picture before us; he says, ‘you want my treasure, but you’ve got your own treasure and you can’t get mine without giving up your love of your own’. This is how the rich ruler found himself. In his case he didn’t go after the heavenly treasure with all is heart; his heart was divided. The Lord was telling him that if he wanted heavenly treasure it would take all his heart, not just some of it!

As Christians we know our treasure is in heaven; we have been in the position that the rich ruler found himself in, but instead of coming away sad, we came away happy! This is wonderful but now we have to put our money where our smile is so to speak. We have to show that we really mean what we have said. This is often harder than we think and to a lesser or greater extent all Christians have problems dealing with the treasure which we have clung to all our lives; things we love and which are always after our affections. This makes us sad because we know that the Lord has loved us so much that he has even died for us and yet our affections still seem to be captivated by other things.

It's this second application of the story that I want to concentrate on in the follow up posts, under the headings of 'Now that I'm a Christian what about...?' I hope they prove useful.

2 comments:

  1. Hi everyone. Greetings once again from the south (unfortunately). I hope you all had a good Christmas. Tim You've really touched on something that I really struggle with in my Christian life.When I was seeking during my teens I new that hat I wanted more than anything was to be saved but at the same time I also didn't want to give up the aspects of my sinful nature that I knew that was unable to continuing possessing if I truly wanted to be saved. Now that I am saved I have a similar problem and that is making the Lord my chief goal and desire. I have been reading a book by Jerry Bridges called the pursuit of holiness. Bridges puts forward a point which is very difficult to take yet absolutely true and has greatly helped me to think about the motives I have in my Christian life. This is what he has to say. Hopefully it might be of use to you all.

    "Consider Paul's statement, 'I always do what pleases Him'. Do we dare take that as our personal goal in life? Are we truly willing to scrutinize all our activities, all our goals and plans, and all our impulsive actions in the light of this statement:
    'Iam doing this to please God'?
    If we ask that question honestly, we will begin to squirm a bit. We know we do some things, good things in themselves, to gain admiration for ourselves rather than glory for God. We do other things strictly for our own pleasure, without any regard for the glory of God."
    Althought that was a little bit long and drawn out I do think that he has a fantastic point. Just like the rich man must part with his wealth, we must part with ours also in order to make the Lord the goal of our lives in EVERYTHING we do and not just somethings. Having said this I am the worst for failing to do so and I only pray that the Lord ill give me the strength to accomplish this task. I hope this comment has been of help to you all.

    Much love in Christ to everyone on the blog.

    Benj

    ReplyDelete
  2. Benj thanks for your comment. It's encouraging to read your thoughts. It reminds of that verse which says, 'we make it our aim to please him (Christ)'. That's what we all have to aim for.

    Thanks again Benj. Hope you have a safe trip! God bless.

    ReplyDelete